I like to use glass jars and bottles for everything possible. My friends can attest to witnessing all sorts of bottles, and jars in stages of being decorated, undecorated, to be actually functional. To get the clean pristine glass to a lot of experimenting with different cleaning techniques, and cleaning products.
Peanut butter turned out to be the most effective technique for myself. A side benefit of my technique is finding out if your home has mice. The steps I take to have a clean and sticky-free jar/bottle are as follows :
- Clean inside of jar and lids with hot soapy water, and let air dry.
- Remove top layer of label either through peeling or scrapping.
- Apply a generous layer of peanut butter to the entire area of the label.
- Let the peanut butter sit so that the oils may work on breaking down the adhesive. ( The length of time varies. I usually let sit overnight. I have had success with a 30 minute soak time)
- When the appropriate time has passed, prepare a bowl of hot soapy water.
- Wipe of peanut butter, and with a scrub brush ( i use an old toothbrush), scrub the label off. It is a relatively easy and quick process.
You Should now have a clean glass jar. If there is still a smell from whatever used to inside the jar, let it sit outside for a week. You may need to repeat this process a few times. Salsa jars have taken up to a month to be smell free.